Similar to other beauty box companies like MyGlam and Birchbox, Memebox offers shoppers a mystery box of 4-8 sample and full sized products that are all sourced, packaged and shipped directly from Korea to over 45 countries worldwide. Although the products are generally a surprise, with the exception of a few spoilers, the cool thing about Memebox is that you can pick from a selection of fun themes like "Wine and Cheese Cosmetics", "Pinkaholic" and "Blackheads No More." This helps to ensure that you receive the types of products you want.
Unfortunately, I get a lot of slack from my Korean friends about my skin and often get told that I look older than I am. This bluntness, common in Korea, is something I'm still getting used to. Nevertheless, it's a fact that my fair, 28 year old Caucasian skin is already showing signs of aging and wrinkles. Which is why I was super pumped to receive Superbox #33 Collagen Cosmetics ($35 USD).
I had really high expectations for this box and most of them were met, if not exceeded. Here's what I got:
1. Ramosu Carestory Collagen Extract 100 10ml Full size product (valued at $36) Infused with over 17 different amino acids, this 100% concentrated Collagen Ampoule is meant to deliver intense hydration to facilitate cell regeneration.
This product was a bit difficult to assemble and it definitely brought me back to my nursing school days of preparing injections. Application was easy and it only required a few drops, but I felt that it didn't provide the hydration I was expecting and should be used with other products to be fully effective. Considering this product is used in many Korean aesthetic salons, I'm hoping for good results with continued use.
2. The Skin House Wrinkle Collagen Free Spot 30ml Full size product ($28) This wrinkle-care product is packed with collagen and adenosine components for delivering deep, intense nourishment to the skin to nullify the signs of aging by filling in between fine lines and wrinkles.
I had just run out of my Innisfree Eco Science Wrinkle Spot Essence so I was happy this spot cream was included in the box, as it has the same function. It can be used as an eye cream but also works well on the forehead and in the smile lines. I felt it wasn't as moisturizing as my Innisfree cream (which costs about the same) but absorbed faster and better.
3. Deweytree Real Collagen Nutrition Serum 50ml Full size product ($39) Deeply moisturizing and nourishing, this facial serum infused with high concentrates of collagen treats enlarged pores, sagging skin, and signs of aging with its highly moisturizing and nutritious formula which catalyzes skin regeneration and renewal.
This product is hands-down my favorite, not only from this Memebox, but among all the cosmetics I've bought this past year. This silky serum glides on easily and makes my skin feel baby-soft. This product in itself is worth the purchase of this particular box... I just wish there were more of it.
4. 3W Clinic Collagen Make-up Base 50ml Full size product ($30) This silicon-type collagen make-up base contains blemish-control powder components for matting out and preparing the skin condition before foundation application.
I had been wanting to buy a green-tinted base for a while to neutralize the redness in my skin- a big complex of mine- so I was eager to try this product first. I was quickly let down, however, as this base didn't blend into my skin very well. In fact, it didn't settle into my pores at all and after I applied my foundation, my skin became flaky and my makeup clumpy. Fortunately, this was the only miss in the box.
5. Dermahouse Collagen Firming Cream 30ml Full size product ($29) The abundant collagen, shea butter, and mango shea butter ingredients in the Collagen Firming Cream work to lock in moisture and deliver beneficial nutrients deep down into your skin. With continuous use, fine lines and wrinkles should disappear and skin texture and clarity should improve.
I'm fairly loyal to Kiehl's when it comes to lotions and creams but I've been alternating my day cream with this firming cream. My skin isn't yet saggy (knock on wood) so I can't speak for the firming properties of this cream. However, I found it satisfyingly hydrating and liked the light fruity scent. It worked perfectly as a day cream but I felt that as a full-sized product, it was rather small for the price. Still, it's a steal since the Memebox itself costs slightly more than the product.
6. Abelle So Hot-Burning Concentrate Ampoule 20ml Full size product ($24) This is a unique hair ampoule that warms up by itself and absorbs deeply into your hair. This highly concentrated ampoule is made from E.G.F, hydrolyzed keratin, hydrolyzed collagen, and hydrolyzed silk (whatever those things are), which all work to strengthen the hair cuticle and make your hair shine with a natural glow.
This product is a godsend, as I regularly blow dry and straighten my unruly, naturally curly hair, causing constant damage. I felt like this ampoule started working immediately after I applied it to my just-shampooed, towel-dried hair. It is to be used once a week for best results so this full sized product should last about a month.
Overall, I was very happy with this box and felt it was a great value for the price. Can't wait to see what the next one will be!
Want to try Memebox? Now is the time! Seoul Searching readers get $5 off on orders above $100 from now until the end of September! Just click this link and enter the coupon code MC13 at checkout to receive your automatic discount. Enjoy, K-beauty junkies!
Although my Memebox was free in return for this post, all opinions are, of course, my own.
Words and photos by Mimsie Ladner of Seoul Searching. Content may not be reproduced unless authorized.